About the Governing Body
The Further and Higher Education Act 1992 requires each college in the Further Education sector to have a governing body. The governing body of the college is known as the Corporation Board. It comprises 20 governors with a wide range of expertise and experience who wish to contribute to the local community.
The Corporation Board is accountable for the financial solvency of the college, its sound management and the quality of the service that it provides. The Board is also accountable for the proper use of the public funds entrusted to it.
It's duties include
- determining the educational character and mission of the institution and for oversight of its activities
- the effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the institution and the Corporation and for safeguarding their assets
- approving annual estimates of income and expenditure
- the appointment, grading, suspension, dismissal and determination of the pay and conditions of service of the holders of senior posts and the Clerk to the Corporation
- setting a framework for the pay and conditions of service of all other staff.
The Corporation Board undertakes some of its work through the following committees which may be advisory and/or decision making, as determined by the Corporation Board and legislation:
- Audit Committee
- Curriculum and Quality Committee
- Finance and General Purposes Committee
- Human Resources Committee
- Learner Support Committee
- Search and Governance Committee
- Remuneration Committee
A Register of Governors’ Interests is maintained by the Clerk to the Governing Body.
The Board of Governors sets the educational character, mission and strategic vision of the college and oversees its activities and performance.
We are looking for a new member of the Board who will help shape the future of the college. We are aiming for a membership that draws on a diverse range of backgrounds.
If you would like further information on the role of Governor at Gower College Swansea, please contact the Clerk to the Corporation.
If you have any questions about governance matters please contact Lucy Griffiths, Clerk to the Corporation Board, on 01792 284222 or email email@example.com
Please note that all documents dated prior to 20 August 2010 will refer to 'Swansea College' and/or 'Gorseinon College' as they were written before the formation of Gower College Swansea.
Updated November 2012