Armed Forces Preparation Course
Learners will participate in a wide variety of activities which will provide them with a clear understanding of a career in the Armed Forces. Courses take place in September and February, with a weekly training allowance available (some contribution to travel costs will be required).
The course aims to:
- prepare young persons considering enlisting in the Armed Forces by providing a thorough introduction to the entry requirements and induction process;
- overcome the barriers to entry experienced by some potential recruits due to a lack of basic skills and physical fitness; and
- enable young persons to recognise and work towards the skills and abilities which will assist in gaining entry and enhance promotion and career prospects in the Forces.
- NOCN Certificate in Skills Towards Enabling Progression
- Certificates in Work Skills
- Certificate in Healthy Living and Fitness Entry 3
- Essential skills
- Literacy and numeracy skills
- NARS Cross Bronze/Silver Awards/Pool lifeguard qualification
- Physical fitness/swim fitness
- Multi gym fitness
- Enterprise/charity work
- Guest lectures from Armed Forces personnel
- Mock interviews
- Careers presentations
- Command tasks
- Orienteering and mapwork
Adults need to be referred by Jobcentre (contact your Jobcentre advisor).
16-18 year olds need to be referred by Careers Wales 01792 644444.
For further information contact 01792 890729.
Updated October 2012