Welsh (Second Language)
AS (first year) - three compulsory units are studied:
- Unit 1 CA1 Oral: Film and Multimedia in Wales and the Hedd Wyn
- Unit 2 CA2 Written coursework of between 2,000 and 3,000 words
- Unit 3 CA3 The Use of Language and Poetry - study of grammar and seven poems
A Level (second year) - three compulsory units are studied:
- Unit 1 CA4 Oral: The play 'Siwan,' Multimedia in Wales
- Unit 2 CA5 Short stories and formal letter writing giving opinions on contemporary themes
- Unit 3 CA6 The Use of language and Poetry - Study of grammar and four poetry themes
Duration:Two years | Qualification: A Level | Level: Level 3
During classes you will experience a range of teaching and learning methods. In each class, the opportunity will be given to use any combination of the language skills - reading, listening, speaking and writing. You will have the opportunity to work in pairs, groups and individually. You will also make use of the range of resources in the Welsh department.
NB This course involves a substantial amount of group oral discussion. It is essential that students are prepared to think independently and form and exchange detailed personal opinions on topics studied. The course involves writing extended essays e.g. on literary/media criticism in Welsh.
In order to help you revise regularly, the following assessment pattern has been set up:
- Short vocabulary and grammar tests
- Short summative piece of writing at the end of each poem/ media theme studied
- Half term tests
WJEC Welsh Second Language GCSE full course grade C or short course Grade C
Study Welsh at Higher Education; employment in the civil service, media in Wales, health and care services, police
Students can join the Welsh club and will have opportunities of visiting TV studios, the Welsh Assembly Government, Welsh Museums, watching rugby internationals in Cardiff and going to music gigs.
There are opportunities of Welsh placements for work experience.
Extra costs include the membership of the Urdd (£6.50) but free if representing college at competitions in sport, art, photography,music, dance and Welsh.